Stars dump on the bathroom bill

Talk about the Dallas Stars and the NHL.
Kevin

Stars dump on the bathroom bill

Post by Kevin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:26 pm

Lites statement from https://betweenthebluelines.com/2017/08 ... room-bill/
“When the Stars moved to Dallas in 1993 we were fortunate to encounter success early on, and we’ve cultivated what we consider to be the best fan base in the National Hockey League. Dallas was warm and welcoming when we came to this great city 25 years ago, and it remains so today. The Dallas Stars stands strongly opposed to any legislation perceived as discriminatory, including proposed bathroom legislation. We welcome fans from all over the globe, and our roster boasts players from half a dozen countries. Dallas welcomes all, and we welcome all.

We’re thrilled that Dallas will host the NHL Draft next year, and we’re grateful that the NHL sees the true Dallas that we know and love, a Dallas that is friendly and vibrant. Dallas will be a wonderful host city and we’re grateful for the NHL’s business. We are proud of our home and want every visitor to feel at home here, too, and that’ s why we oppose this discriminatory bathroom legislation.”

TheBigWhistle

Re: Stars dump on the bathroom bill

Post by TheBigWhistle » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:50 pm

It's a dumb bill that would hurt business in Texas. Look at North Carolina. The crap our legislators waste time on is maddening.

I found the use of "perceived as discriminatory" in the Lites statement to be telling. I perceive that to be wishy-washy. We don't like anything that some people might not like. Look at us, we like everybody. Canadians, Swedes, Finns, Czechs, Russians.

Seth

Post by Seth » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:16 pm

TheBigWhistle wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:50 pm
I found the use of "perceived as discriminatory" in the Lites statement to be telling. I perceive that to be wishy-washy. We don't like anything that some people might not like. Look at us, we like everybody. Canadians, Swedes, Finns, Czechs, Russians.
That is lame. To make up for it, the Stars will try to accommodate everyone next year by serving each individual's needs. I've seen the form they will ask fans to fill out upon entry to the AAC.

DTX42

Post by DTX42 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:20 am

TheBigWhistle wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:50 pm
It's a dumb bill that would hurt business in Texas. Look at North Carolina. The crap our legislators waste time on is maddening.

Later in the statement: "we oppose this discriminatory bathroom legislation."

This is about the NHL Draft, they don't want to lose it if the bill passes.

DW_40

Post by DW_40 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:17 am

It's not the most compelling statement and weak compared to some others I have seen, but it was the right thing to do. I wonder if they will take a little hit for their stand. This is Texas, not the liberal northeast or California.

Hitch2017

Post by Hitch2017 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:08 am

DW_40 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:17 am
I wonder if they will take a little hit for their stand. This is Texas, not the liberal northeast or California.
Yes they will take a hit. Take a stand on emotional issues you run that risk. The NFL lost viewers because of the protests by players during the National Anthem. I am not comparing the two issues but it does show how people make viewing decisions.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2017 ... -nfl-games

bucky

Post by bucky » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:46 pm

Funny how the Stars are all on board the inclusion train with the draft at stake. When they had a chance to jump on board by recognizing You Can Play during a mere one game last year they blew it off. They had too much going on. Jim Lites is a hypocrite.

Seth

Post by Seth » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:26 pm

bucky wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:46 pm
Funny how the Stars are all on board the inclusion train with the draft at stake. When they had a chance to jump on board by recognizing You Can Play during a mere one game last year they blew it off. They had too much going on. Jim Lites is a hypocrite.
You are surprised by this?

JasonTX

Post by JasonTX » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:56 am

1. This bill doesn't affect the AAC.
2. It ain't gonna pass.
3. The NHL, Stars should focus on their own business.