Here are a couple of quotes from Dallas Stars Jim Nill on the Stars losing Cody Eakin in the expansion draft:
“I love Cody Eakin. I love what he brought to our team. He’s been a great Dallas Star. But in the end, he’s the player I thought they would probably take. They made a good pick taking him. He’s a good player.”
Nill said Eakin’s rough season was a very small part of the decision to expose him in the expansion draft:
“Players have bad years, and he had a tough injury. He’s going to bounce back. Really it comes down to contract, position, center depth, the role on the team. There are a lot of different factors.”
On the process of determining the list over the course of the season:
“We had a good idea who we were going to expose, but it went back and forth all season, different names and for different reasons. We did one [list] at the start of the year, one at our pro meetings in January and then we were doing it consistently at the end of the year. It was wavering all the time. It wavered right down to the wire. When I made the final decision, there are other directions I could have gone.”
Here are the 30 picks Vegas made Wednesday night. They selected three goaltenders, 13 defensemen and 14 forwards.
Jean-Francois Berube, NY Islanders
Marc-Andre Fleury, Pittsburgh
Calvin Pickard, Colorado
Alexei Emelin, Montreal
Deryk Engelland, Calgary
Jason Garrison, Tampa Bay
Brayden McNabb, Los Angeles
Jon Merrill, New Jersey
Marc Methot, Ottawa
Colin Miller, Boston
Griffin Reinhart, Edmonton
Luca Sbisa, Vancouver
David Schlemko, San Jose
Nate Schmidt, Washington
Clayton Stoner, Anaheim
Trevor van Riemsdyk, Chicago
Pierre-Edouard Bellemare, Philadelphia
Connor Brickley, Carolina
William Carrier, Buffalo
Cody Eakin, Dallas
Erik Haula, Minnesota
William Karlsson, Columbus
Brendan Leipsic, Toronto
Oscar Lindberg, NY Rangers
Jonathan Marchessault, Florida
James Neal, Nashville
Tomas Nosek, Detroit
David Perron, St. Louis
Teemu Pulkkinen, Arizona
Chris Thorburn, Winnipeg
In association with their 2017 NHL Expansion Draft selections, the Golden Knights made
the following transactions:
* Vegas acquired D Shea Theodore from Anaheim.
* Vegas acquired Buffalo’s 6th-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft (161st overall).
* Vegas acquired Boston’s 5th-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft (142nd overall, previously
acquired by Carolina).
* Vegas acquired F David Clarkson, Columbus’ 1st-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft (24th
overall) and Columbus’ 2nd-round pick in 2019.
* Vegas acquired F Reilly Smith from Florida for Vegas’ 4th-round pick in the 2018 NHL Draft.
* Vegas acquired F Alex Tuch from Minnesota for Vegas’ 3rd-round pick in the 2017 or 2018
* Vegas acquired F Mikhail Grabovski and D Jake Bischoff as well as NY Islanders’ 1st-round
pick in the 2017 NHL Draft (15th overall) and 2nd-round pick in 2019.
* Vegas acquired Pittsburgh’s 2nd-round pick in the 2020 NHL Draft.
* Vegas acquired F Nikita Gusev, Tampa Bay’s 2nd-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft (45th
overall) and Pittsburgh’s 4th-round pick in 2018 (previously acquired by Tampa Bay).
* Vegas acquired Winnipeg’s 1st-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft (13th overall) and 3rd-round
pick in 2019 for Columbus’ 1st-round pick in 2017 (24th overall, previously acquired by Vegas).